Thursday, May 21, 2009

My Kid with Aspergers Loves Routine











The student that I work with is a pretty cool kid. I have enjoyed being with him and figuring him out. James(name changed to honor privacy) has Aspergers and one of his characteristics is his desire for routine. James packs his own lunch every single day. He has 1- PBJ sandwich, 1 granola bar, 1 apple and 1 Capri Sun. It has not been anything but those items for the 5 months I have been working with him. James is a big kid and could easily put away double what he brings but he never brings more. I bring extra chips, mandarin oranges, yogurt, Hot Pockets or whatever I have, which he always accepts and eats. But, he never packs anything different or extra in his lunch box. I think changing anything about his lunch would really throw him off balance. We often get out of the class before lunch a few minutes early. James does not take one bite until the the bell rings. That is just the way he does things.



No comments: