This is the very first time I have joined in on Foodie Friday. Oh, I have often visited and have gotten great ideas and inspiration, but never had something to share until now and it features one of my sons, Christian!
Original Recipe Yield 6 servings. I tweaked it for 10 servings because, at our house, we always aim to have leftovers!
My son’s notes about this recipe:” Be sure to whip the eggs good and frothy. This helps get the eggs fluffy and avoid sogginess. It puffs up like a souffle.”
- 11-1/2 slices white bread, crusts removed and cubed
- 3-1/3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 10 eggs
- 5 cups milk
- 1-3/4 teaspoons ground mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
In a greased 11-in. x 7-in. x 2-in. baking dish, combine the bread cubes and cheese. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over bread and cheese. Top with bacon. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.