Sunday, January 30, 2011

Anthropologie Inspired Fabric Strip Net

 

Click on the buttons to join the fun! These are inspirational events that show you that you can, indeed, do it yourself and whip it right up!

DIY Blog button and JSIWU_BUTTON044My daughters and I always stop into Anthropogie when we get over to the mall on the other side of the city. Last time we were there, we saw a beautiful bed flanked overhead by a net with dangling, random strips of fabric tied all over it. I didn’t have a camera with me so I can’t show it today. Not sure if the “Powers that Be” let you take photos in their store anyway???

Not to worry, my 15 yo, Lilly , was completely inspired to make her own for her bedroom. She bought a fishing-type net for crafts at Hobby Lobby. At Joann Fabrics we found something I’d never heard of; a Jelly Roll of coordinating fabric strips commonly used for quilting. She felt like the designs matched too much so she bought a fabric square in a pop of bright coral for contrast.

045She made a nest next to me on my king size bed and got to work. She cut strips in half length-wise to double her supplies. Every once in a while we would ooh and ahhh at the fabric designs. She tied and tied until all the fabric strips were tied on; completely randomly placed.001

005Then she screwed in some hooks, stretched out the net and hung from the ceiling over her bed.

006

007It is soooo Anthro and so cool. I’m not sure if these are for sale at Anthroplogie or what they must cost. But it sure wasn’t as cheap as Lilly’s design and we all love it!

Her friends call it a giant dream catcher-haha!

Supplies:

Fishing net from Hobby Lobby 4.98 (half price)

Jelly Roll Fabrics 12.99 X 2 (Forgot my coupon ;( ) You can use any fabric you want, just tear into strips about 18” long and 1-2 “ wide.

Fat Quarter 1.50-torn into strips.

Scissors

6 comments:

Moe said...

This is so cool! I am totally going to bookmark this to try later! Looks so great :) :)

Popping by from the girl creative!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

You have a budding designer in the family, just like Mom.

Great piece, I love it.

hugs
Sissie

Aisling said...

I was so excited on a recent visit to London to find that we now have anthropologie stores over here! My husband couldn't quite understand why I was so excited over a STORE!

xinex said...

That is looking pretty cool!...Christine

The Polka Dot Closet said...

First of all your daughter is beautiful!! Great idea to use the fat roll, You are going to have to get a picture from farther back, i would love to see the whole project. I love anything from Antropology!

Carol

jeanne@juNxtaposition said...

very very cool...may just have to try this !!!