Wednesday, February 10, 2010

San Francisco Spontaneously

My mom has been a jewelry wholesaler for about 40 years. She provides great jewelry to stores all over the nation. Last weekend she set up her booth at the San Francisco International Gift Show. This is the place that store owners and buyers come in hoards to get the latest wares to resell in their shops. On the spur of the moment, I managed to get a great deal on an airline ticket from Denver to San Francisco. Let me tell you how much I love Southwest Airlines. They always have the best deals, even without advance purchase, and your bags fly free. There is nothing more aggravating than to buy what you think is a great price on an airplane ticket and then find out that each person in your party has to pay another 15, 20 or 25 dollars per bag, each way.

Anyhow, I had 4 days in San Francisco to visit and work with my sister and her daughter, Claire,who is a freshman at the University of SF. Food choices are abundant and expensive, so it was Claire who showed us the best deals on dining. Here is a little mexican restaurant, Popolote’s, within walking distance from USF. We ordered fantastic vegetarian burritos that came with a side garnish and home made chips and salsa for about $6. They were very, VERY tasty and, as it turns out, a “Throwdown with Bobby Flay” with be featured on the Food Network on Feb. 17th. I will be very surprised if  Popolote’s doesw not win!003004   006007The University of San Francisco is a Jesuit College. I snapped this amazing exterior of what, I believe, is a Catholic church on campus, out the car window at a stop light.014 011 My niece and I on a walking tour.013

015   016

017

This is the view from our hotel window at the Sir Francis Drake.019

We shared dinner at the Cheesecake Factory on the 9th floor of Macy’s. There is dining  patio, along the edge of the building, with breathtaking views.022

One giant chocolate, coconut cheesecake was enough for 4 of us to share.018

I will show some great finds from the gift show; architectural pieces and jewelry, in particular, in my next post.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks like so much fun. Love the pictures. www.singlehomeschoolingmommas.com

xinex said...

What a wonderful trip Cindy! I love San Francisco and I think the elevator at the Sir Francis Drake Hotel is most awesome, kinda scary though. I can't wait to see the jewelry show...Christine

Nancy said...

Hi Cindy! I'm not sure if I commented on PS, so read down a post and am so glad I did. Lucky you! I love seeing SF, even in pics. My son goes to Loyola, in New Orleans, also a Jesuit college! It's the best for him...intimate and full of thinkers.

Wish I had Southwest up in the northeast! LOL! I really want to get to Round Rock in late March early April.

Thanks for sharing. You both look so beautiful and happy!